Thursday, November 20, 2008

Gratitude

I have always found gratitude to be an important concept. I find that the more grateful I am, the happier I am. When we are counting our blessings and feeling grateful for all that we have, we realize that we have enough. Then we are not "waiting for life to get better". We are not feeling unsatisfied and discontent. It is a mindset. It is choosing to have a positive outlook. We are in control of our thoughts and in so doing, we control our moods. Choose to be grateful, and you are choosing to be happy. The Lord blesses us abundantly. He wants us to be happy and, he wants to bless us more.

He has always been very generous with me. I more fully realized this when we moved to Belize. I have traveled through poverty stricken areas before. I had seen homeless people on the street. It was not until I lived around impoverished people that it truly had an effect on me. I became friends with women who struggled to buy rice and beans to feed their children for breakfast. Who saved up their pennies to buy 5 spoons for their kitchen. While I was there, I did my best to help where I could. Financially, I gave as much as Ty would let me. I gave service, I gave friendship and I shared my testimony. As I did, my gratitude grew. Never again will I feel poor.

My friend Joanne is a great example to me. She lives in a small wooden shack that her husband built. It is small, maybe 20' x 20', and her family of five squish in together. They have to use a shallow outhouse. (They can't dig too deep because they live on rock). I could go on and on about the hardships that she faces every day but the point is, she is grateful. I never hear her complain. Her faith in Christ is strong and she has a great love for others. She tells me all the time how grateful she is for her life, for her family, for her little home. Joanne is happy.


I am happy too. I am grateful.


I am grateful for:


My Savior, Jesus Christ. My knowledge of the gospel. My health. Tyler. Justin. Andrew. Lincoln. My parents. Ty's parents. My brothers and sisters. (Especially you Amy!) Ty's brothers and sisters (especially Melanie). Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, etc. I am thankful for my home. To be out of debt. Food storage. The USA. FRIENDS!. Charlie (My dog, [bring him home Tyler!]) My computer. Cellphones. Lots of warm blankets and sweaters. Savings. Belize. My animals in Belize. Joanne. Airplanes. To be in the Young Women. President Monson. My camera. Washer and Dryer. My children's school and teachers. Yoga class. Vacations. Clean laundry. My car. Nap time, (Lincoln's). Trees. Smiles.

And I'm greatful for YOU!

Happy Thanksgiving

5 comments:

Dayna said...

Thanks for your comments Sarah. It really is important to be grateful for what we have, and see our blessings every day. Happy Thanksgiving!

Janessa Taylor said...

Ok so I FINALLY linked you onto my blog...so now I'll actually check yours!! LOVED this post. I really needed that, seriously. Jordan and I are pretty nervous about the baby cost, having enough money to just pay the bills next year, and worrying about how long it will take him to finish school. But there is so much to be thankful for, and I don't think I realize that enough!! I loved that you said that the positive outlook is key..I need to be more positive, full of faith, and rely on the Lord for help, as I do my part. I'm grateful for YOU today too!! Thanks for your great testimony of this!!! Love you.

Anonymous said...

Love you sarah..I am thankful for you as well :)

Mel

Lucidity said...

That was very sweet...it made me tear up! You are a great example to me and I Love you and your family!!

Amanda said...

Wonderful post. Sorry I haven't called. Life is just busy. Will you give Amy my email so that she can let me view her blog?? I would love to keep up with her & her family. I can't believe that our siblings are all grown up & married. CRAZY. How can that be when we are still only 20.